Sunday, March 29, 2015

Campfire Chili

This weekend we went camping and had a blast!  Naturally, my only concern was, "What's the menu going to be?!?!?!"  :)  Of course since we were camping, I definitely wanted to have a pot of chili hanging over a fire pit.  I felt like I owed it to mother nature to use the fire we built to cook something.  ;)  So this is a pretty basic chili, but it's a good base to have in your chili repertoire.  Then you can add and subtract to it as you please.  I think this version is good like it is with the usual toppings or maybe with Fritos!!  Mmmmmm, can you tell I'm prego?  Ha ha! Enjoy everyone!









Campfire Chili

1    pound ground beef
1/2 large red onion (diced)
1    large jalapeno (diced)
1    red bell pepper (diced)
2    roma tomatoes (diced)
1    15 oz can of crushed tomatoes
1    15 oz can of black beans (with juice)
1     cup of water
1    campfire (optional)

1 1/2      tbsp. chili powder
1 tsp.      salt
1/2 tsp.   cayenne pepper (I usually double this but it makes it pretty spicy)
1 tsp.      garlic powder
1 tsp.      onion powder
2 tsp.      cumin powder
1/2 tsp.   curry powder (trust me)
1 tsp.      brown sugar

Directions:

-In large deep pot, sauté ground beef in 2 tbsp. of oil with all the spices until browned.
-add onion, jalapeno, bell pepper, and tomatoes and sauté for 4-5 minutes
-add in tomato sauce, water and black beans with juice.  (add more water if too thick)
-simmer for 30-45 minutes.

Serve with any yummy chili toppings you can think of!!!  Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment